- Tip 1
- Refrigerators and/or freezers should be thoroughly dry and stored with doors slightly ajar. Some goods can be stored inside large appliances and boxes can be stacked on top of stoves, refrigerators and freezers. Make sure that stoves and cooking equipment are cleaned before they are stored.
- Tip 2
- Label boxes on all sides for easy identification
- Tip 3
- To protect your items cover them with moving pads, blankets or sheets
Clothing, curtains and drapes should be stored in wardrobe boxes, on hangers. Wardrobe boxes may be purchased in our office. If the items are too large for a box or cannot be hung, such items should be carefully folded and stored in dresser drawers, cedar chests or wardrobe style cardboard cartons along with bedding and linens.
- Tip 5
- Place a layer of packing inside the bottom and at the top of boxes containing glassware. Ideally these items should be stored in a specifically designed dish pack box. All glass items should be individually wrapped: nest cups and bowls and stand plates, saucers and platters on edge. Wrapped glasses should be placed near the top of cartons and do not place heavy items on boxes containing glassware.
- Tip 6
- Use a pallet, furniture covers or moving pads to keep items off the floor.
- Save the original cartons that contained delicate ornaments and pad the ornaments with packing paper. Wrap strings of lights around a piece of cardboard before placing in a carton lined with packing paper.
- Wrap large lamps and place them in boxes and pack delicate lamp shades separately. Do not use newsprint to wrap lamp shades or any other goods that may be damaged by ink stains. Do not store heavy items on cartons containing lamp shades.
- Use dresser tops for stacking cartons and dresser drawers for linens or small, delicate items.
- Couches can be stored on end, stack chairs seat to seat with placing a sheet or pad between the chairs to prevent scratching.
- Remember to drain the gas and oil from lawn mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, boats, etc before storage
- Pack and stack carefully. This will minimize the amount of space you'll need and will prevent damage. Place frequently used items near the door and valuables in the rear of the unit. Pack heavy items in small boxes to make them easier to carry and place them on the bottom of stacks to prevent any damage to your belongings.